Working in the field of residential interior design, I have a few tricks for making a small space look and feel bigger. Here are my top seven tips:
- Use a color palette that’s light and neutral, that will enlarge your space visually.
- Incorporate some furniture in the same color as your walls, that way it basically blends into the walls which helps widen your space.
- Use multifunctional furniture, such as storage ottomans, which can be used as both a coffee table, extra seating and storage, all at the same time.
- See-through furniture—like glass tables and Lucite chairs—do a great job of tricking the eye into thinking there is more space than there actually is.
- Resist the temptation to fill up every exposed shelf in a room. Leaving some black spaces will give your small space an airy look.
- Ignore the old rule that small furniture in a small space is the way to go. Fewer, larger pieces of furniture in a small room will often make it look bigger.
- Just because a room is small, doesn’t mean it can’t be amazing and dramatic. Big pieces of art can add a ton of a lot of drama to a small space, and make the room seem bigger.